Ok- before you puke from that cheesy title, let me explain. Since this is the month of love, I thought I would do a post on some things that I love and.......drumroll please....... I will post everyday from now til Feb 14th- ooh what a commitment. Aren't you all excited? (Mom, emailed me a request to please blog, because it made her sad everytime she opened my blog page and saw Pres. Hinckley.)
#1- "One reason that I love my husband, in-laws, and my church." Be prepared, long story to follow.
Last week, a friend of mine, Heather, whom I visit teach, was packing up to move back to Utah. Her husband had left a month earlier and she was alone with her four kids to pack up and clean her home. She had packed most of it herself. I went over Wednesday and Thursday to help her clean and I took her kids for a few hours Thursday night. (And she had others help with meals, babysitting and a little cleaning).
Well, you would think that that would have been enough, but let's just say the whole project was overwhelming. After hours and hours of work, it looked like we hadn't done a thing. By Friday, her husband had flown in and got the rental truck. She called to ask if she could borrow my vacuum, and I could hear the stress in her voice. She said her landlord was coming a day early, and they had to have it totally clean by that night (a 3500 sq. foot two story that was very well lived in). Yet, the house was still full of stuff. Luckily, Ella had taken an early nap, so I grabbed her and headed over.
I got there at 1pm, I could feel their stress. Heather was trying to help her husband load heavy furniture (the elder's quorum was coming the next morning to help load). The baby kept sticking rocks, toys, etc. in his mouth, and had fallen down a couple of stairs. Their three year old was being a pretty good boy, but would get in the way sometimes. I headed upstairs and tried to start on a room, but there was no way this project was going to be done by that night. I knew another friend would be coming over that afternoon, but they needed man power to help lift the furniture out and more help cleaning.
So, I called Thayne. I knew he was taking an early day to go golfing with his dad, who was in town for three days for Bailey's baby blessing. I told him about the situation and that they needed help. Thayne made a few phone calls, and within thirty minutes we had two more ladies show up, and Thayne, Darrin, and Byron as well. The R.S. pres came a little later. A meal was brought in, my vt companion took her kids later that afternoon, and vt companions hubbie came over to help that night as well. Patricia (MIL) offered to take my kids for me. And then Donae, made a fabulous dinner for all of us, so we didn't have to cook. By 5:30pm, Heather's house was pretty much clean and they were able to get their full deposit back. If you had seen this house, you would say that it was definitely a miracle.
So, why do I love my hubbie? Because he didn't even question me, and got straight to work when I told him about the situation. He also gave up a little golf time with his dad.
(They were able to get a little in.)
Why do I love my in-laws? Because they also jumped at the opportunity to help someone out, especially noble of Byron, while on vacation. I didn't even ask my MIL to watch my kids, she called to offer, and Donae called to offer dinner. Sooooo nice.
Why do I love my church? What an amazing support system. It didn't matter if these people were good friends with her or not, they were willing to help. I saw so many acts of service last week it was amazing. People helped me, by watching Ella (Larissa, Geanna) so that I could help Heather. Not once did I ask, they all just offered. We also had a city of Surprise pride day, where our stake had over 500 volunteers to help make our community better. Service is the way. I definitely need to do more of it.
And not to make you sad again mom, but here is a quote from Sister Hinckley that I love.
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived." -marjorie pay hinckley, wife of the prophet.
Ok, tomorrows LOVE blog won't be so long.....or deep.
6 comments:
Jen you brought tears to my eyes with your blog.It is so beautiful to see so many acts of kindness.I do believe,what comes around goes around,not just bad things but good.
ps.
I love the quote from sister Hinckley.
This is a very sweet blog. I love that people can be so willing to help others. I wish that I could be a more charitable person. I love Sister Hinckley's quote.
Thank you for the blog Jen. Love the whole experience. You have a wonderful husband who obviously learned about service from his parents. What a great example they all are. It just makes you feel so good when you can help others out. And its not that you do it for the glory but that you can lighten someone elses' burdens. Good story. I look forward to your other "Loves" of the month. :)
I also loved Sis. Hinckley's quote. I'd heard it before and I'm sure that is just how she did drive into those pearly gates. Mom
You have a great community and family. That's what life is all about--helping each other out.
Okay friend, You just TOTALLY made me cry...and I feel like I POOPHEAD because I wasnt able to do anything last week to help....nor did I offer to watch your kids...some friend! :(
Thank you for this quote from Sister Hinckley, I will have to copy that one down, I love it!
Shelly- you better not feel like a poophead, because you do way more service than I do. Actually, I recall that you did offer to help at the YW activity.
Post a Comment