Monday, February 11, 2008

Love #4


I love my kids (enough said)!


I do want to do an update on Ella, since a couple of you have asked. As most of you know we had our "Christmas Miracle." Ella took her first steps three days before Christmas. I remember saying back in September that it would be so nice if she was walking by Christmas. When December came, I was pretty sure that it wouldn't happen, so to me it was such a miracle to see her walking.


She is doing very well. I would say that she is walking about 80% of the time and scoots the other 20%. She has a hard time getting into standing positon from the middle of the room. She usually scoots to furniture, pulls herself up, and then walks from there. She is still pretty slow and reminds me of a penquin-- straight, wide legged, waddle. She is scared to walk outside or on uneven surfaces. I still carry her alot in public, and usually up and down the stairs or whenever she needs to get up onto a chair (hence the bad shoulder flare up).

Here is what she usually looks like-- water in hand and belly hanging out. (just like her mama - he he)

We went to the park with one of her developmental specialists today and practiced walking on uneven surfaces. I think her depth perception may be off a little, but she did very well.


I also went to the opthamologist again. It was a very promising appointment. He estimated that Ella's vision is between 20/40 and 20/60. I hope he is right, because this is good enough to drive. This vision will never change, nor will glasses help it. As she gets older and is able to read eye charts, we will be able to tell exactly what her vision is. He did say there is a good chance her peripheral vision or depth perception could be off a little.


As far as the pituitary goes-- we are waiting to see a pediatric endocrinologist. Our appointment is February 26th (Jill's b-day). I've had to wait almost two months. There are only a handful of pediatric endocrinologists in Phoenix-- I hope I picked a good one.


Ella continues to make progress with her language as well. She surprises us sometimes. Hailey was singing her ABC's and Ella chimed in with her. I hear her sing, "Happy Birthday to you" to her care bear (tare bear) with a cake on it's tummy. She went up to Hailey's room by herself and when I came to check on her she had a crown on, a ring on her finger, a necklace and bracelet on and a purse in her hand. It's cute to see her doing age appropriate things.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Ella is just so sweet and cute! I am so happy that everything is going well with her. Hopefully soon you won't have to carry her anymore so your shoulder can heal.

Hollie said...

Ella looks so grown up walking. This is such good news. I love that sweet Ella!

Anonymous said...

I bet it's such a relief to finally have some answers. It's so wonderful that she is walking. I hope your shoulder heals soon.

Allie would love to play "tare-bears" with Ella. Allie has one that she sleeps with every night.

PS I love your kids too! They are GREAT kids.

JIll said...

I still get tears in my eyes thinking about when Ella first walked at Christmas time.I am so happy to hear that she is still making great progress.Hopefully the next time I will see her she will be running! P.S.,We love your kids too!

Shel said...

And I hope my kids can be LIKE your kids as they keep growing...you really have a great threesome there Jen. I love this news about Ella. And sorry to break it to ya, but you dont go around with your belly sticking out Bootcamp Babe! :) Too funny! You inspire me Jen...in all ways...service, example to others, great mom, fun, thoughtful friend, dedicated wife and young woman leader at church...who is worshipped by the girls there. You are just theeee all around best Jen! And that is HONEST! And I know 478 other people that will confirm it! :)

Anonymous said...

Shelly- you need to stop with all of the nice compliments. I'm getting a big head (maybe it will even out my hips). Besides, I can turn around everything you just said and say it back to you :)

Donna said...

So glad to hear the update on Ella. I was wondering how her walking was doing and it sounds great she is constantly progressing. She is so sweet. You will have to let us know how the appt. goes on the 26th. And, I agree with your friend Shel, and I've known you all your life!

Shel said...

Thanks Mom...we are both right! Jen is the best!! And Jen...just for the record...my hips are twice to three times yours so SHUSH!!