Ella's endocrinologist appointment
(just ignore the stained up shirt)
(just ignore the stained up shirt)Ella had her endocrinologist appointment on Tuesday. I don't know if my expectations are too high, but I just don't think this doctor is going to really take Ella on. We are just another of his many "five minute visits". Here is what I want. I want a doctor who is good at communicating and explaining details, who acts like he cares and is very knowledgeable about ONH (also called SOD). I know this doctor is familiar with it, but just the fact that he didn't feel the need to do alot of the bloodwork that is related to the pituitary, makes me wonder how familiar he is with the disease.
He marked up a lab sheet to give to me and wasn't going to explain anything he was testing for-- I don't get that-- why not communicate to me what your testing for?? So, I asked what he was testing for. I noticed he didn't say anything about testing for growth hormone.
I asked, "Are you going to test for growth hormone?"
"No, she's too tall."
"She is? I thought she was only in the 15th percentile."
"Well, most kids with growth hormone problems aren't on the chart. And she seems really active (I guess he figured that from watching her walk for one minute??). Most kids with gh problems are pretty weak."
I think anybody who knows Ella knows that she is not a typical "active" two year old. She actually tires quite easily. But that's not the point.
The point is ONH/SOD kids are different.
There is a team of doctors in LA who are specializing in ONH/SOD. Here are a couple of things they have said. ONH kids can have......"life-threatening endocrine deficiencies regardless of presenting symptoms and neuroradiographic findings."
The point is ONH/SOD kids are different.
There is a team of doctors in LA who are specializing in ONH/SOD. Here are a couple of things they have said. ONH kids can have......"life-threatening endocrine deficiencies regardless of presenting symptoms and neuroradiographic findings."
"Every ONH case should have endocrinologic evaluation and neuroradiographic imaging for associated abnormalities. A recent study published in the Journal of Pediatrics revealed that the high prevalence of endocrinopathies (72%) does not correlate with laterality of disease or neuroradiographic evidence of pituitary dysgenesis; thus it is important to examine each case with an assumption of high risk for hormonal dysfunction Endocrinologic evaluation, at a minimum, should include fasting morning cortisol and glucose levels, free T4 and TSH, and IGF-1 or IGF-BP3. Growth hormone deficit occurs in 64% of children with ONH, and may be an occult cause of hypoglycemia, even in the face of normal stature.
Ok- sorry for the medical journal talk- basically ONH kids should be tested whether they show typical signs of a problem or not....especially growth hormone. Believe me, I'd rather Ella not have a problem with any of these things, but I do want her tested for everything, so that I can know (and she is supposed to be tested yearly for the rest of her life.) Anyways, he did end up marking the growth hormone lab as well.
One thing this doctor did say was, that sometimes kids with ONH just struggle with obesity, whether related to hormones or not. I came home and googled it and there it was, "Children with ONH frequently have global developmental delay, autistic behaviors, obesity, short stature and life-threatening endocrine deficiencies." I have had the flu/bronchitis all week and have been very tired. I think reading this while not feeling good, brought me to tears. I cried, as I thought of little Ella having to struggle with this her whole life. I am hoping that it won't be the case for her. I guess I'll just wait for the lab results and go from there. I asked the doctor if he thought that I should restrict her calories if the labs come back normal. He said, "that may be a good idea." Every answer was kind of vague. I'm afraid that if they do come back normal, I will probably get a call from his M.A. and then be told to come back in three months.
I just did the bloodwork/urinalysis on Friday... so she should be getting the results by next Friday. I'll let you know.
11 comments:
OK, I am angry at that endocrinologist's attitude. Jen, would it be too hard to travel to LA? At least for her initial evaluation? I think this guy is a "know it all" who really doesn't know it all. Why do these specialists think they are God? Oh, I can't stand the way you get treated after waiting forever to go see them and he spends five minutes with you and doesn't even do the basic tests!!!! I tell you that if you don't do your own homework nowadays you will end up not getting the correct dx and/or treatment. I'm steaming. Wish I were there with you. If you decide to go to LA, I'll meet you there. Love ya Mom
How frustrating! With mom's experiences with doctors and now your experiences, I'm really going to do my homework the next time I need to see one. It's just too bad there's not a Dr. House in every clinic/hospital.
I hope the results show some good news. Either way though, it will be good to know what Ella will be dealing with. We love you guys!
PS I LOVE that picture of Ella. She looks like a little diva.
Jen,
FIRST OF ALL...you are in sooo much trouble for not getting yourself to the dr this week. A fever ALL week is not good....and I ignored every prompting this week to call you and drop by dinner...so pardon the language...but I am a SUCKY friend and I am sooo sorry I didn't relieve any of your burden this week or save you from at least 1 meal. :(
As for this doctor...I agree 100% with Mom AND you need to go find a doctor that is an answer to your prayers. I think doctors are like medicine...you gotta keep trying new ones till you find the one that works. And there IS ONE that will work and that you will finish with and breathe a huge sigh and say, yes...this is finally an answer to my prayers and the doctor we needed all along. We all need to ask around for good ones and help you out.
Hang in there friend...you are amazing and going above and beyond right now. XOXOX
Shelly- I have a husband who is very capable of making mac n cheese and chicken nuggets. I would not have let you bring me dinner. Seriously, you already made my week by giving me such yummy birthday treats. I smell so good and that chocolate cherry dessert was DELISH!
Ella looks ADORABLE in that picture! I'm sorry that you guys are having troubles with your doctor. It would be nice if all doctors truly cared and explained to you everything that was going on. I hate feeling like just another patient on a list that they have to get through as quickly as possible for the day. Let us know what the results are. We will keep Ella in our prayers.
I'm so sorry to hear about your negative experiences with the dr. I hope you get the answers you need. I also want to let you guys know that I got a job in Phoenix. We will be their soon. Love you guys.
Jen,
I came across your blog through Maran's (and through my brother Marc and his wife Stacy). How are you guys doing? It was so good to see your family... and how they have grown! Your little Ella is such a beautiful little girl. And I can't believe how grown they all are! We have missed you guys in the Elk Grove region. Don't know if you know, but my 4th, little Megan, has Down Syndrome. I have found, over the 4 and half years that she has been on the earth, is that your intuition is always the best. You are entitled to questions and answers. If you are not sure of something... keep pushing forward. It can be scary... nerve racking... but I know that Mom's always know what is best! Good luck... I hope the test results are the results you desire. Luckily, we have a Heavenly Father that knows us and knows our needs! Love, Marlo Carter
Ross- yahoo, yahoo, wahoo. And I saw on Maran's blog that you got a blog-- fun, fun. I'll have to hop on over.
Marlo- so good to hear from you! Thanks for the inspirational words. It is amazing how quickly the kids grow. I need to remind myself to enjoy it more. Do you guys still live in the same house/ward? I'll have to hop on over to your blog too.
Okay this makes me so angry! I'm sorry that you had to be the one telling the dr. what he should be testing for, yikes. Not fun when you have to be doing all this research and working yourself up over things. It's so hard to think of our children having anything "different" about them when they are older, I know how you feel. When Rhett was not talking very much at the age of 4 I would cry and cry when I read about autism or other disabilities on the computer. I hope her bloodwork gives you some answers. XOXO Brooke
Jen,
We live in EG, actually in Laguna Creek II ward. We bought a brand new home just off of Elk Grove Blvd., almost to Franklin. We love it!! Things continue to grow in EG... not quite as fast as they were. I would love for you to visit my blog some time! Keep in touch,
Marlo
Hi Jen and Thayne and family,
This form (blog) of comunication is wonderful to read and feel. I speak with your Mom all of the time and agree (of course). Just to share a bit as you know, I have been through a few years of medical misses? mishaps? which have changed my life dramatically as I'm still out on medical disability. I do want to thank you and Hollie and families for your prayers..I think I'm still in them as some days are so much better.
Anyway, sorry to get long winded, I justed wanted to agree with antoher friend of yours is that "MOTHERS INTUITION" is it. Fight, fight and continue to fight..as you know we are all right there next to you, behind you and with you.
Love, Aunt Betty x0xx0x0
My first blog entry :)
Post a Comment