Trip to San Diego
Our spring break was last week, so we headed to San Diego. Thayne had a lot going on at work, so we made it a quick trip- Friday, Saturday, & Sunday.
Vacation Log
Friday: wake up at 5AM, load car, head straight to Sea World. (A five hour trip)
Kids all slept till 8:30AM in the car! Peaceful three hours.
Take pic with penguin, Ella not too sure about it.
Watch Dolphin show. Curse the shy genes because Hailey was asked beforehand to be a big part of the show and refused. (See that blue stage, she would've been up there.) Encouraged her, bribed her ... she wouldn't budge. Kaden was begging to do it, but was deemed to old.
Observe playful penguins......and sharks, whales, fish, etc. etc.... and Clydesdale Horses. (Not sure why those are at "Sea" World, but they were pretty to look at none the less.
Take pic of drenched, cold family after river raft ride. 
Watch Shamu from afar.
Here he/she is. Actually not sure if this is really Shamu. It may be his cousin Sham-poo. Watch Shamu show, otter show, pets show, ride some rides, head to Souplantation (aka Sweet Tomatos) and CHOW down. We never ate lunch at Sea World, only snacks from home. Arrive at Hotel. Watch "Nancy Drew" on 8-inch portable DVD player while snuggling in bed.
DAY 2- Saturday

Sleep in; head to Seaport Village.
Ride 113 year old carousel, walk shops, tell kids to stop asking for everything, buy expensive caramel apples.
Walk along coast to the USS Midway, take tour.
Check out cool planes.

Observe Admiral's quarters, talk to a vet about his experience on this ship. Tell kids to stop playing with everything, considering they now have a large audience. Observe how "old-fashioned" things look, especially considering this was used in Desert Storm in 1991. Vet says new boats are much more high tech.
Observe kids in "button heaven". Wonder 'how in the world' someone knew what these all were for. Head to Subway and Carlsbad shopping outlets and flower fields. Make a couple of purchases. 

Final stop: Old town San Diego for Mexican food at #1 rated "Fred's". Enjoy Fajitas, tacos and Caesar salad for the kiddies. Side note: My kids (especially Kaden) love Caesar salad. If it is on the menu, this is what they want, including at fast food places. Hailey hits the "tired wall" and begs to go to the hotel. Hailey and Ella fall asleep the second they are buckled in. Thayne and I wonder if Fred's is really rated #1, it's good... but I've had just as good.

Sleep in; head to Seaport Village.
Ride 113 year old carousel, walk shops, tell kids to stop asking for everything, buy expensive caramel apples.
Walk along coast to the USS Midway, take tour.
Check out cool planes.
Observe Admiral's quarters, talk to a vet about his experience on this ship. Tell kids to stop playing with everything, considering they now have a large audience. Observe how "old-fashioned" things look, especially considering this was used in Desert Storm in 1991. Vet says new boats are much more high tech.
Observe kids in "button heaven". Wonder 'how in the world' someone knew what these all were for. Head to Subway and Carlsbad shopping outlets and flower fields. Make a couple of purchases. 
Drive back down to San Diego along hwy 101, stop at beach. Enjoy the sounds, smells and beauty of the ocean. Shiver from being cold.

Final stop: Old town San Diego for Mexican food at #1 rated "Fred's". Enjoy Fajitas, tacos and Caesar salad for the kiddies. Side note: My kids (especially Kaden) love Caesar salad. If it is on the menu, this is what they want, including at fast food places. Hailey hits the "tired wall" and begs to go to the hotel. Hailey and Ella fall asleep the second they are buckled in. Thayne and I wonder if Fred's is really rated #1, it's good... but I've had just as good.
Day 3- Sunday
Stop at BEAUTIFUL San Diego Temple.
Take cute pic of Ella. Head home.
Sleep in. Eat breakfast.. discuss that Hotel has pretty good breakfast (waffles, egg mc muffin, cereal, bagel and assortment of many carbs, oj, aj, fruit... etc.). Observe a large group of college aged boys from New Hampshire in town to play Lacrosse. They look scruffy and young. Man I am getting old. Load car.
Head back to Old town San Diego. Take a tour and watch video at the Mormon Batallion history center. Learn about how much these guys and others were involved in California history. .. from San Diego, to San francisco and Sacramento. Ella decides to be a royal pill and I leave video early so she will stop being a royal pill.
Walk down to the first courthouse, that members of the batallion built. Pass a large "casa" that is now a museum. Stop in because it's free.
Stop at the courthouse.
Stop in at first schoolhouse. Leave quickly because I feel like the caretaker lady is giving my children the, "don't you dare touch anything that is not supposed to be touched LOok."

Head back to Old town San Diego. Take a tour and watch video at the Mormon Batallion history center. Learn about how much these guys and others were involved in California history. .. from San Diego, to San francisco and Sacramento. Ella decides to be a royal pill and I leave video early so she will stop being a royal pill.
Walk down to the first courthouse, that members of the batallion built. Pass a large "casa" that is now a museum. Stop in because it's free.
Stop at the courthouse.
Stop in at first schoolhouse. Leave quickly because I feel like the caretaker lady is giving my children the, "don't you dare touch anything that is not supposed to be touched LOok."
Get a kick out of old rules posted on the outside of the schoolhouse. It reads stuff like "Boys and girls playing together.....4 lashings.
Stop at BEAUTIFUL San Diego Temple.
Take cute pic of Ella. Head home.The End.
11 comments:
You guys sure have an interesting life! Wish we could have met you down there. I've gone to a delicious Mexican restaurant in the heart of Old Town near the Bazaar del Mundo. But, I can't remember its name. Fred's does not sound familiar. It is large and has an outdoors and was all green with two stories and sort of dark inside and open to the outside. Is this now Fred's? Anyway, I loved it.
Poor Hailey got the shy genes. I know how she feels. It would have been fun to see her in the show. Love yas MOm
Sorry about the Aunt Donna. I changed it on your cousins blogs and forgot to change it back. Love ya Mom
I need to follow you guys around. How do you know where to go to have a good time all the time--even when it is free? You're such a cute family.
Your posts make me laugh. You are hilarious.
Ditto to Hollie...do you do a lot of research before traveling? You always seem to know where to go.
You guys are such a fun family. I hope we can travel as much as you do when we start making money.
You guys do so many fun things!!! It's my goal to be like your family when we are more settled. I bet your kids will remember these fun times forever!
Jen -
I just had to tell you this...and I think it will just blow your mind. I have also been to a Souplantation in San Diego. Isn't that the craziest thing you have ever heard? Now, odds are pretty good that it was not the same one, as I am sure there are several in the greater San Diego area, but for the sake of this comment, let's pretend that it was. Congratulations to you and your family for the great choice in dining establishments. (I hope that you can sense the sarcasm here, sometimes it is hard to tell over the computer)
Your funny as fetch brother-in-law
Scott Randall
You guys do have lots of fun mini vacations! That is too fun and what a fun mom you are celebrating all the great holidays with your kids. I can't wait to try the st pattys drink. The kids are getting big and ella is stll just a sweetie! Take care of Ang and Ross we will miss them greatly.
We've been to San Diego probably six times since we've been in Arizona... so I know it pretty well. We usually ask around and also use the internet. You can do a google search on "free things to do in San Diego.. etc." I sometimes do mapquests from destination to destination so we don't get too lost, and put them in a folder.
And fetcher,
we have been there a couple of times too. did you know that it started in San Diego in 1978? There is one about 1 mile from sea world, it is our post-sea world stop.
Mom, I'll have to try the Bazaar del Mundo. Fred's was an indoor/ outdoor place too, but there were seriously like ten Mexican restaurants on this one strip. We LOVED the Casa de Bandini on our honeymoon, but I think it is out of business.
What a fun trip! I loved all the cute pictures, you have such a cute family!
Jen...I am going to use YOU as our travel agent next San Diego trip! can't believe your crammed all of that into your quick weekend...WOW...amazing!!
I was not sure how I found your sisters blog, but I am glad I did. It is great to see you guys are doing good. I am also so glad to see the pictures of San Diego. That is my home. I love that place. I hope you had a great time. Where are you living now? Arizona? I will keep checkin on you guys. Take care!
Post a Comment