Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The results are in.
I was talking to my mom on Sunday, saying, "just watch.... the blood tests will all come back normal." Well, I was right. The doctor called Monday and said they all appear to be normal. HE was actually surprised. I should be excited about this, and in many ways I am....but I feel that something is missing. The doctor said that something could be off and it is just not showing up right now. He wants me to come back in three months.

In the meantime, what do I do with my sweet little girl who keeps gaining weight, yet is not eating more and is actually moving a lot more? Last year at this time, Ella weighed 26lbs... by the summertime she weighed 38lbs. How many one year old's do you know that gain twelve pounds in 5 months? She now weighs 43lbs. That is more than my five year old. She went from a size 2 shirt to a size 5/6. I can barely get size 6 (the largest size) diapers on her.... they are actually too small. I am going to do a calorie assessment on her. I started one yesterday..........here is an example of what she eats at home.


Breakfast: 8:30AM- 1 cup of cheerios, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 2 strawberries - no sugar added (didn't finish entire bowl)

Lunch: 11:45 AM -3/4 apple dipped in 2 tablespoon of natural peanut butter (from Costco)
3 bites of yogurt (natural) mixed with cottage cheese and a couple of grapes

Snack: 3:30 PM- a baggie of pretzels and cereal, and sippy with 1% milk.

Dinner: 5:30PM pasta with veggies and chicken (about 1/2 cup), 1/2 cup of bananas and oranges


She does have days where she eats more than this, but overall her diet seems pretty normal and healthy. She rarely eats sweets-- only when we have family get togethers and everyone else is having a sweet (I eat enough for the both of us... unfortunately). We rarely eat fast foods (except fresh mex or sandwiches) or high fatty foods and she doesn't "drink" her calories either. She asks for water ALL DAY LONG... this too is unusual. She does love carbs and asks for crackers, pretzels, cereal, granola bars etc.... so I am watching this.


Sienna (my two year old niece) was just here and I observed what she ate. She seemed to eat about the same as Ella.


I am obviously concerned about this, I don't want her to have more health issues because she is overweight. I want a health care professional to help me decide what to do about it.... especially how nutrition relates to her health issues. I do have a bit of knowledge in nutrition (ok- I hate to admit it, considering I eat way too much and need to lose weight, but I have a bachelor's from BYU in dietetics/nutrition. I worked at a large hospital before Kaden was born.) I can figure this out myself, but it would be nice to have a little coaching.



Maybe this is too much info for my blog, but I'm not very good about journaling, so this is a place that I will actually write it. Albeit boring, it has come in handy for me as a reference to what she is doing. I knew what she weighed last year because of my blog :)



Part two



As you know, Hollie came for a visit. She was only here Thursday, Friday, and half the day Saturday. She came down with her SIL, Vanessa, so they could go to Braxton's baptism. Taylor and Jarin stayed in Utah. We had a fun time. Thursday we were both tired so we hung at home and let the kids play. Friday, we went to Makutu's island, a big indoor treehouse with lots of areas to explore. If we're on that side of town, we like to stop at Nielsen's frozen custard........mmmmm. Hollie had an admirer at Makutus..... some guy kept chit chatting with her and wanted her to slide down the slide..... a little weird. Here are some pics... of our cute children.... not the admirer.
My pictures are so dark, so here is a picture from their website. I know you all wanted to see it.







Awww... so sweet.

Um... what happened?
They do this a little too well.

Nielsen's frozen custard. Bumbleberry and butterfinger (not mixed). Yum! And my son is cross eyed once again.

Tea party anyone?

The Giga ball we got two Christmas' ago.
The giga ball lookin' a little flat after these boys were through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the results came back normal, but am sorry that you guys still don't know what's going on. Ella certainly seems to be eating well.

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun with the Stevens. That place that you went to looks awesome!

Donna said...

I have to agree that it is not normal for a small child to gain that much weight, especially with a healthy diet. So, the future will tell more I hope.
As for the photos, those are so cute. I absolutely love the one with the tea party. I'll have to print that one up. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun in a little time. Glad Hollie could take a break and come down for a visit.

Anonymous said...

It is great news that the results came back normal but I understand your frustration. From your description of what Ella eats in a day, she probably shouldn't have weight issues (Allie eats a lot more in a day).

Sounds like you guys had fun with Hollie and the kids. That's too funny that Hollie had an admirer. The pictures are all darling. Everyone is growing up too fast.

Hollie said...

I'm relieved and yet sorry about Ella's results. It's so frustrating to not know answers when it seems like something is a little off and yet you hope the results are correct. Thanks for putting us up at your place. We had such a good time with you guys. We wish our families could live closer-maybe one day.