Tuesday, November 27, 2007

We have a diagnosis...


Well, after two years we finally have a diagnosis for Ella. As you may have read in the last post, I went to a different opthamologist on Monday. I was expecting him to finally confirm that Ella was night blind or had ocular albinism..... but this was not the case............after a few minutes of looking into her eyes with a special machine, we have a totally different diagnosis. Ella has Optic Nerve Hypoplasia (ONH). Basically, her optic nerve is smaller then usual. We are very blessed that Ella has pretty good vision, because many children are blind.


Interestingly, this ONH condition is also related to problems with the pituitary gland (the master gland of the body). The optic nerve and the pituitary are in the same part of the brain.

Here is a better definition of ONH.


A person with Optic Nerve Hypoplasia (ONH) has small eye nerves (optic nerves) from the eye to the brain. Some people with Optic Nerve Hypoplasia also have an abnormal brain and a poorly functioning pituitary gland. This page explains the problems that can occur in children with Optic Nerve Hypoplasia. Your child may have none, any or all of these problems in a mild or more serious form. Depending on the person's problem sometimes the disease is called Optic nerve Hypoplasia (ONH), Septo-Optic Dysplasia, or De Morsier's Syndrome


Here are some of things associated with the pituitary that may have a problem:

-Thyroid

-growth hormone

-ADH- controls water in body which can cause diabetes insipidus (totally different from diabetes mellitus)

-sex hormones (testosterone, estrogen, progesterone)

cortisol and adrenal glands

hyperglycemia


After hearing all this you can probably guess that I have shed a few tears over it. However, I am extremely grateful to finally have a diagnosis that makes more sense. I am also very grateful that most of the pituitary stuff can be taken care of with medicine, although it will probably be for life. As you can see from the above red highlight, people with ONH may have none, any or all of these problems. Their vision and brain function also vary. Some are very smart, some have brain damage. It is so individual. It appears that Ella does not have brain damage. After reading many definitions and personal stories of children with onh, it also seems that strabismus, tactile issues, and gross motor delay are related.


Now, I am waiting anxiously for her blood work to come back. Long story, but I'm a little annoyed that I don't have the results already. It's been three weeks since I did the non genetic testing.

I just wanted to say that we feel so blessed to have Ella in our family, she is a joy and we are very hopeful that she will be able to live a good life. We are very glad to finally have some answers. If anyone wants to read more go to magicfoundation.org and click on optic nerve hypoplasia.

Also, interesting side note- Meri's daughter Meredith also has ONH.

BTW- Thanksgiving was great, I'll post some Thanksgiving pics later.

6 comments:

Scott said...

We are so glad that you have a diagnosis. I truly think that everything is going to be ok with Ella. We will continue to pray for you guys.

Hollie said...

Ella is so cute. It's so good to finally figure things out. That is so interesting that Meredith also has ONH. Is it hereditary?

Larisa said...

It must feel so reassuring to have a diagnoses and be able to move forward. We just love Ella here! Darin had last Wednesday off and was able to stay home and play with the girls, he said that she is so sweet and he had so much fun with them. Malia gets so excited to see her friend Ella and go to Ella's house.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that they have finally found a diagnosis! It's so crazy that it took two years for a doctor to figure it out and then it only took him 5 minutes. What a blessing that he had an opening on Monday! I'm praying for good blood test results. I hope she doesn't have to deal with ALL of the problems associated with ONH. But if she does, I'm glad there are meds out there to help her live a normal, functional life. We are so excited to see you guys in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hollie- most websites say it is not hereditary, however one website said they are finding a certain link. One person said that it is on the rise and there are studies going on trying to connect something in our environment. I don't know what is right and what is wrong.

JIll said...

Wow Jen, I am so gald that you guys finally know what you are dealing with.My prayers are with little Ella.