Friday, November 9, 2007

Little Miracles


We have witnessed a miracle this week. I think I've mentioned before that it is nearly impossible to find a vein in Ella's arm. We have been through a surgery, a mri, and a series of blood tests with absolute no luck of getting a vein poked in her arm. The IV has ended up in her foot and neck. The last series of blood being drawn ended with Hailey and Ella in tears and me holding the tears back. It was forty minutes of poking in both arms and feet... with no luck.


Now to this week. After putting it off for too long, I finally made it back to Phoenix children's to get her blood redrawn (is that a word??). We prayed and asked some friends and family who knew about it to pray too. Thayne was able take a long lunch break and come with me. He gave her a blessing... I know sounds a little dramatic for getting your blood drawn, but it was needed.


We warned the phlebotomist that Ella is a hard stick and told her about the past. She put the tourniquet on (at least that's what it looked like, it was so tight on Ella's chunky little arm), and felt for a vein. She said she felt a very deep one and had her partner come check too. Now for the stick..... Thayne and I held our breath while she stuck..... she hit the vein right on and whipped out three vials of blood in less than a minute. It was a pretty deep vein, her needle was all of the way in Ella's arm-- it is amazing that she didn't blow the vein.

Thayne and I were laughing we were so happy. I think the lady was pretty confident about her sticking abilities...which maybe she is a good sticker......but we know it was more then that.


FYI- I have to go back on Tuesday and get three more vials of blood (the genetic testing could only be done on certain days of the week). She can use some more prayers :)



5 comments:

Scott said...

WOW! Oh, the power of prayer!! That's really awesome. I'm so glad that they got her blood without any problem. She's so sweet....I'm sure it has been very difficult to watch previous blood taking. I will pray for her next week!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! I used to cry with Allie when she would get her immunizations(when she was a newborn), I can't imagine what it would be like to watch your child get poked for 40 minutes and have no luck. I'm so glad it worked out well this time. I will keep her in my prayers!

Hollie said...

Does that mean the blood was no good last Monday because the genetic testing wasn't available? Oh poor sweet Ella! I really feel for her. We'll pray for her and for you as parents. I can seriously sympathize with her. The thought of having my blood drawn makes me a little faint due to past experiences.

Anonymous said...

I loved this story. I told it to my visiting teachers because my lesson was on teaching your children gospel lessons and I told them about your FHE that night and how you shared the "miracle" with the kids and taught them about the power of prayer and faith. I have such awesome children who teach their children the truly important lessons in life. Love ya MOM

Anonymous said...

Hollie- she actually needed six vials all together. I didn't realize that they only did the genetic testing on certain days of the week. I guess they have to fly it out to another state. So, she drew the three that weren't genetic. I think she did a thyroid panel, and two other more basic tests.