This is one of the pyramids at Coba. We were able to climb this. It was pretty steep.
Funny little skull.
The view from the top.
Heading back down. You can kind of tell how steep it was.
A smaller ball court. Coba and Chichen-itza had these amazing roads. They were 60+ miles long. They were perfectly level and straight the entire way, through the unlevel jungle.
If you look through the trees, you can see a mound of stone. Supposively, about 85% (??) of Coba is like this, untouched. It was another big city- I think about 40 square miles. It would be awesome to excavate these.
This is the side of another pyramid. The jungle grew right over it. This is sort of what Chichen- itza (the famous pyramid) looked like, before they cleared all of the trees etc away. After these ruins we headed to a cenote. This was so fun and so refreshing after hiking around. Once again, these pictures don't do it justice- they just look dark. Ross looks like he has two ladies.



There were two jumping platforms off of the staircase. My camera was too slow to catch Thayne jumping. Crystal caught this picture of Rich though.
After the ruins we headed to land that is sanctioned for the Mayan people of today. They fed us a real Mayan lunch. They were really sweet people. They are a very small people. These ladies were all under 5 feet. Interesting side note, the true Mayan men do not grow facial hair. That is why carvings of a bearded God (Christ) are so interesting.


After the ruins we headed to land that is sanctioned for the Mayan people of today. They fed us a real Mayan lunch. They were really sweet people. They are a very small people. These ladies were all under 5 feet. Interesting side note, the true Mayan men do not grow facial hair. That is why carvings of a bearded God (Christ) are so interesting.


Ziplining over alligator infested water. Ok- that just sounded cool. I think they said there were baby sized alligators in this water, but they wouldn't hurt you. What a fun day! Friday we relaxed at the beach and pool. We went to a karaoke night at the resort where Ross sang in front of a ton of people. Angela was supposed to sing, but somehow they skipped her name.
Crystal took this one. I thought this was a cool picture. Whenever we went to a touristy type shopping area, there would be people like this dressed up in some really cool costumes.
Back home with my fabulous children. I wanted to post this because my girls are wearing their souvenirs. These are handmade Mayan dresses. Each of those embroidered flowers and edging were done by hand. They only cost $10.




6 comments:
That trip sounds amazing! How did you know where to go and what to do?
Ross does look like he has two ladies and I noticed that Rich has the same shorts as some other guy in the volleyball picture. Anyway, I'm glad you guys had fun.
I wish we could be in Utah right now visiting with you guys...but we are excited to see you in CA soon.
All I can say is Wow!! Is that you rapelling down the cliff? You must be in really good shape. How wonderful that you guys could do that. And I love the dresses for the girls. I hope I get to see them. Love ya Mom
That looks like an awesome vacation.I think I would need to go to boot camp work outs too, to do all the activities there.
To answer a few questions- Kerrie it helped to go with Rich and Crystal, because they have been there before. At every resort there are representatives from different companies trying to sell excursions- you can shop between them and see what you want to do or look them up on the internet before you go. The only excursion I would have done different was the trip to chichen-itza. We found out after we booked it that the Lds guy gave tours there in a smaller van. We took a big bus, which was nice, but took a lot longer to travel because we had to make so many stops at different hotels.
And yes, mom that is me rapelling down the cliff. I got a little nervous going over the edge backwards, but once over the edge it was fun.
Jenifer,
I love these pictures. Its so neat to be able to see what everyone is doing. Thanks for taking the time to share. Seems like it was a beautiful vacation filled with lots of love and fun. See you soon!
love,
Jessica
As predicted by g'ma, I scored a 65 on the nerd test. No surprise there.
Post a Comment