Friday, March 23, 2007

Jello Pudding yum, yum, yum


At first glance this may look like some other "brown substance" in the tub- it's actually chocolate pudding. Ella's Occupational Therapist wants her to get used to lots of different textures, especially on her feet, so she brought pudding to this session. Ella thought it was great and kept licking her hands. She was a little tentative with her feet, but the therapist (Kim) helped her get used to it. PT's and OT's certainly cannot be afraid to touch. There jobs are actually very physical. I think I could handle doing little children, but could not do adults! Maybe I'm a little tactile defensive-- I still cannot stand touching cotton. By the way here is the proper definition of tactile defensiveness-- incase you wanted to know (a quiz will follow.... j/k).
"The root cause is neurological dysorganization in the midbrain region of the brain which is largely responsible for filtering incoming stimuli, and, may not adequately screen out all extraneous tactile stimulation causing the child to perceive the input as extreme and uncomfortable. The central nervous system's ability to process tactile sensory input is distorted causing the child great discomfort. Their brain may register even the most subtle sensations as extreme irritation or even painful and he/she may respond in an abnormally reactive way such as grimacing, or pulling away from the stimulus.
The central nervous system must rely on five sensory nerve receptors in the skin to keep it informed about it's environment. These receptors are; light touch (surface), pressure (deep), temperature (hot and cold) and pain. It is quite possible for one type of receptor to be sensitive and the other normalized. This explains why he/she may tolerate light touches, but dislike firm hugs, or hate tags (on clothing) and hair cuts or brushing."
They say a lot of children will eventually outgrow this. I think there are many kids with slight versions of it (ie; hating getting their hair brushed). I think Kaden has a little tactile defensiveness. He can't stand to touch clothing when his fingers are wrinkled from a long shower. He is so rigid when I brush his hair or put suntan lotion on- whereas Hailey is not. He also hates the texture of most fruits and will gag the second he has it in his mouth (and has done this since 10 months old). Hopefully, he'll outgrow this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ella is going to laugh about that photo when she is a teenager. She looks like she is having fun. That tactile defensiveness is very interesting. I hate to touch wool and can't wear it. I wonder if that is part of it. That would sure explain Kaden's dislike of fruits. Hopefully, he outgrows it. Mom

Anonymous said...

Playing in pudding looks like fun...I'll have to try it out one of these days. Ella looks so cute.

We probably all have a little tactile defensiveness to some degree. I can't stand nails screeching on the chalk board (would this be in the same category?)...it makes me shiver just thinking of it. And Allie won't eat certain foods because of the texture as well. By the way, how did her MRI go?

Scott said...

I've always wanted to jump into a pool of pudding. I think it would be a lot of fun. I don't know if I have tactile defensiveness. I guess there are a few textures I don't like to eat (like slimy things such as clams and certain kinds of shrimp).

Anonymous said...

I cancelled the first MRI appointment because it was in the afternoon and Ella wouldn't be able to eat all day. The first early morning one they had is for this Friday, March 30th.

Anonymous said...

Hailey is beautiful, just her mom. I'm glad she likes fruit (the second child is usually opposite from the first). Looks like she had a great birthday. I like your cupcake holders. Neat. Wish you could come back up in April. And yes, Ella is in our prayers. Mom