Friday, September 21, 2007

I love Target-- or do I?

What is it about that little red tag that says clearance? For some reason the word clearance makes me justify buying an item that I would never buy, because it is cheaper. And Target has the best clearances! For example- about a year ago, I bought a snow cone maker for around seven bucks, normally 29.99, just because it was seven bucks. We've used it about five times, my blender can do the same thing.

I had some time yesterday, so I headed to Target for no particular reason, just to waste time (nevermind that there were chores to be done, a lesson to prepare, a couple of phone calls to make, bills to be paid, oh and what about actually cooking a nice meal etc. etc. That stuff can wait.) So, I slowly headed down every aisle and looked for that awesome red tag. Man, did I find it! All of the school stuff, summer toys, luggage, etc etc is on a 75%-off clearance. I picked up some toys to put in my toy stash, a couple of shirts for Kaden, some acrylic glasses for my kitchen. I found a jogging stroller, normally over 100 bucks, for $30. I regret not picking it up. I went back today and it was gone. I also did not pick up a $4 cute back pack for Hailey next year. Maybe, I'll go back tomorrow :)


Here is a picture of the toy stash that I've been collecting. We use some of it to give away for birthday presents and some will be for Christmas or next summer. I calculated that I have spent about $70, normally it would've cost me $258. The only catch is I wouldn't have bought any of it at the regular prices- except maybe the roller blades, which I got for 6 bucks! I may try to convince Hailey to be the butterfly for Halloween, a $3.98 purchase- normally $17.

Hopefully, my kids don't see this blog :) (I actually wrote this a couple of days ago, but am just getting around to posting it).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How the heck to you find these awesome deals? I guess I don't go to Target enough or just don't know where to look. Those are some awesome gifts! I'll have to check out my target this week.

Unknown said...

That is pretty cool that you can find these great deals. Hannah might be a butterfly for Halloween as well. I have wings for her but no other costume to go with them. Maybe she'll be a fairy......I'm not sure. The butterfly outfit you got is really cute, as WELL AS THE OTHER TOYS (HANNAH JUST PRESSED MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND REALLY WANTS TO PLAY WITH THE COMPUTER).

Donna said...

I keep trying to find those great clearance items at my Target but they are usually junky. Jen you would go nuts here with the stuff on Craig's list. They have awesome Halloween costumes for 5-20 bucks. Some are gorgeous and I've been thinking of e mailing the photos and asking if you want me to pick some up before I come down. You certainly have a way with the bargains! love ya Mom PS Can we go to Target next week?

Jennifer said...

Maran- I don't know if you'll check this again, but I have a butterfly costume, size 18mo if you want to try it. I can send it with mom (unless she gets one from Julia :)

Anonymous said...

Jen- Sure! If you want to send it with mom that would be great! I can mail it back to you or just give it to you at Christmas when we're done with it.

JIll said...

I admit it too, I am a sucker for the clearance rack.There is something about getting a bargain even if you dont really need the product.I like your idea about picking up extra toys for a toy stash.I need to start that!I guess I will go to Target tomorrow and check out the clearance rack!