Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I would make a horrible paramedic.....(or E.R. dr/nurse)

I was at the gym today speed walking on the treadmill, while reading. I heard someone hop on the treadmill next to me and glanced over to see a girl hooking up her i-pod and getting ready to work out. I went back to reading.. and heard the whiz of her treadmill going.........and then I heard the horrible sound of tripping and stumbling. I glanced over to see if she was okay... only to see that her feet had gotten away from her and she was holding her arms up over her head, hanging on to the handles for dear life. Her legs and hips were being pulled by the treadmill and she was trying to scramble to her feet. I gasped and said, "Push stop!"... as I was fumbling with my own stop button (and a man on the other side of her was as well). It was too late, the pull of the whizzing mat had catapulted her off. She was thrown, THROWN, with a loud "SMASH", into the half-wall behind her. I think half the gym heard it. At this point, I felt sick... and sad. She half-sat, dazed, confused and hurt. The other guy reached her first, and we both asked if she was okay. She warily nodded yes. Luckily, a personal trainer (or physical therapist) saw the whole thing and was there within a second, assessing her wounds.

I tried to get back to walking on the treadmill, but I felt sick and a little scared that I was going to do the same thing...so I switched to the eliptical. I usually feel so good after a workout, but not this time. I kept playing the incident over and over in my head. This is why I would make a horrible paramedic! I may appear calm, but inside I want to throw up and cry. Oh- and another thing- I came home and opened the fridge, first thing, and grabbed a piece of four day old leftover pizza. I ate it while I took a shower. Food is my comfort-- something I NEED to change. I would weigh 300 lbs if I was a paramedic.


Case #2-

About four weeks ago, Thayne was cutting a piece of foam in our bedroom with a large Carpet blade. The blade wasn't sharp enough, so he decided to switch it out. He didn't have a screwdriver handy, so he used his drill to tighten it. Mistake. Once the screw was tight, the drill didn't stop and twisted the blade into Thayne's finger. I was in the kitchen and he came running in holding a bloody shirt to his finger. He was saying, "Crap. CRAP!" and ran to the sink.

"What?! What happened?"


"Would you look at my finger, I think it's pretty bad,"


"I don't know if I can."


I got a glance of the hanging, bloody, flesh and immediately got the heeby-jeebies and felt like I was going to throw up.


"Jen, just toughen up, I need your help."


I pulled it together, and wrapped up his finger. Off he went to the urgent care... and off I went to lay on the couch so I wouldn't faint.


He ended up needing a bunch of stitches through his knuckle. He's lucky he didn't cut his finger off or slash his wrist. He did cut through a blood vessel, which needed special attention, and also caused blood to be SPLATTERED on our bedroom wall, carpet, and new bedding.



Would you like to see the new bedding? Here it is.

I know what you are thinking... "Do you think you have enough pillows?" I actually took a few off and put them on the sofa in this room. I think the bedding is pretty, but certainly not practical. It is not bedding you sleep with. That is nothing new for us anyways. Thayne and I each sleep with our own (soft) sheets and blankets. I learned this the first year of sleeping with Thayne. I wake the second he moves, and everytime he would move, he would pull the covers off of me. I also HATE sleeping with the sheets tucked into the mattress (I know some of you are gasping right now). I can't stand it though, and have to have the sheets wrapped up in my feet.




Here is the blanket I've been sleeping with for 16 years. Isn't it lovely?

How did this turn into a bedding post?


8 comments:

Hollie said...

It's funny that you talk about being horrible with emergencies. I used to think because I loved science and medicine that I could handle the medical field. But, like you, I'm feeling shaky and faint just picturing Thayne's finger and blood. Thank you for not taking a picture of it and posting it on your blog. Also, I LOVE the bedding. I saw a good deal on a set at Bed, Bath and Beyond last week and really coveted it. It too had a gazillion pillows. That must just be the style. It's really gorgeous.

Maran said...

I don't know how mom and David got different genes than the rest of us because I, too, hate blood and accidents. However, I can't seem to look away if I see something. I'm like a deer in headlights. It's like I know that it will make me sick but yet I want to look.

I laughed really hard at the part that says you hate being under tucked blankets because I feel EXACTLY the same way. I have to have my feet dangle out of the blanket, and I also like to put the blanket between my legs, so tucked sheets = disgusting. Scott is totally opposite, though, so sleeping arrangements get tough sometimes.

I love the new bed set!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you still have that blanket...and are still using it. But I understand the whole bedding issues. Jake and I have our separate blankets as well. And the tucked in sheets...not my style either. As for emergencies, I don't think I get the heeby-jeebies but I haven't seen too many gross things to know if I could handle being in the medical field. The two things that I know get to me (at least to my gag reflex) are poop and throw up. Blood and guts, however, are interesting. I so wanted to watch them do my c-section. Anyway, I hope Thayne's finger is healing well. And by the way, I love that bedding.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie you must take after me. I feel the same way. Ask me sometime about my experience with poop as a nursing student with an adult patient. (If you want to get grossed out) It was trial by fire. I was almost ready to quit nursing.
Anyway, Jen, I hate to see people get hurt too. That is why I don't like violent movies (even if it is fake). I am not watching 24 this year. I stopped last year d/t the violence. Poor Thayne. At least neither one of you panicked. Anyway, you got something good out of it! Love the bedding. Where did you get it?

Anonymous said...

I just re read the post. You already had the new bedding before Thaynes accident. Sorry. Hopefully you got it off. I thought you went and bought new bedding afterwards. :)

Gardner Family said...

Jen- Just checking out your blog. It's great! Love the bedding. I need you to help me with our room (we still have an old sheet as a window treatment-don't tell Amy Rae). Had fun at the park with you and Heather and kids! Hope you enjoyed Sweet Tomatoes.

Brooke said...

What an update! Blood and Bedding....hope his finger is all better!! I have a blanket too, it only comes on the bed in winter but I do love it, love it. Cody makes fun of me. It was fun to see you the other night, even if we didn't get to chat too much!! You have to tell me where you got the bedding, I love it!!

Anonymous said...

OK so I don't check the blogs often nor do I usually comment, but this one is funny. I would have laughed at the person on the treadmill while trying to stop it. The same thing happened to one of our cheifs. We all couldnt stop laughing when he bounced off the wall.
Blood and gut dont bother me, Like Kerrie, the "other" bodily fluids/solids do. I have dry heaved several times while treating people. Thank goodness I don't work the ambulance much anymore.