What to blog??? How about "getting older". I remember thinking that 30 something was so far away. It sure came fast. At first I thought, I don't feel any different (mentally) than I did ten years ago, but the more I think about it, the more I realize life experiences have helped me learn a lot-- alot about myself as well.
Here are some things I have learned in the past ten years.
*tons about purchasing a home, refinancing and financial planning.... and still learning
*that being a good wife and mother is not as easy as I thought
*that not only is each child different, but that they change from year to year
*that my love for my children is unconditional
*That I love my husband more and more
*that I don't have as much patience as I thought
*that teaching youth has become easy
*that we will never lease a car again
*that being assertive brings more results
*that doctors certainly don't know everything
*to stay away from german shepherds
*that we have been blessed beyond belief
*that just because you feel right about something, doesn't mean it's going to work out the way you thought
*that my siblings, parents and in-laws (and of course, my hubby) are my best friends
*that it gets harder and harder to lose weight
*that I do like lasagna
*that I love to go on trips and be outdoors (as long as it's not 100+ degrees)
......and the list goes on and on
Speaking of "it gets harder and harder to lose weight"-- I have been working out 4-5 times a week, and watching what I eat for about a month. I have only lost 4lbs! I am hoping my muscles are getting stronger, but in my twenties, I would've lost 10lbs by now. I am thinking of starting "bootcamp" this Monday, put on by my gym. It is three times a week at 5:30am (ouch). They work you out good! They also weigh you and measure your body fat and inches, before and after. It costs extra, but it might be worth doing for a month. I just hope I don't injure myself!
I have been in the YW program for eight years now. I started in California when I was 24-25 years old. I remember some youth writing a nice note, saying "we can always pay attention to your lessons, because you're like one of us. You understand us." Then in Utah at youth conference, I remember a youth saying, "you're not one of the 'old leaders", you're like a big sister to us." Now in Arizona, I am one of the 'older leaders' (we have a pretty young ward). One of my sweet beehives, whose mother is only a year older than me said, "I consider you my second mother." It was actually very sweet, but weird that I could be her mother! Man- where does the time go!
The thirties are great! Can't wait for the forties (ok- that's a lie, I can wait).
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good job Jen. This week we had the missionaries over for dinner and Kerrie was here. She said they often have the missionaries over.It made me think back years ago when Peg and I had the missionaries over for lunch. I remember being their age. (I guess we didn't know about the rule of having a guy in the house, or it didn't exist yet). Anyway, I realized that my youngest child is now older than the missionaries. Life goes by fast. Enjoy your thirties and forties. It was the best time for me physically and in other areas. (Feeling more confident in myself). I really enjoyed your blog. It made me think of what I have learned. Mom
I really enjoyed reading your blog too. I know I sure have a lot to learn still. I am so immature right now. I always thought that getting married and having a child would make me more mature, but it really hasn't (well, I guess I'm more mature than I was in high school). Great job on working out. I know I could not get up at 5am to do it. We missed you in California.
That's a great list! My 10 year high school reunion is this summer and seeing the invitation really made me look back and evaluate the last 10 years of my life. It has gone by fast and although I still look like I'm 18 (according to everyone here in NC) I feel like I've learned and changed a lot.
That's funny that you've been in YW for that long. I'm still waiting for a calling like that. I am always on some committee, which is fun too.
yeah, getting old sucks. I turn thirty this year...something that seemed so distant, I thought it would never come.
Post a Comment